Sunday, August 12, 2012

How to include images in an ebook

I was asked on Twitter recently how I got images into an ebook. Well after a lot of trial and error I figured out how to do it in Adobe Indesign. Here's the basic run down.

1. Set up your book with images in Indesign.

2. Export as a pdf.

3. Import each page back into a new Indesign file from that pdf.
Why? Because each page needs to be flattened or the ebook readers will take your copy and format it in the oddest way possible away from your image. If your type is already flattened with the image, you can skip step 2 and 3. This works okay for a 32 page book like mine but could be a real pain in the booty for longer books.

4. Export as an epub file.

Hope this helps.

Mary Lee

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again, think this was for me, tho I'm sure I'm not the only person to ask you! :)

    ReplyDelete